Thursday, August 14, 2008

Porcupine Hair





Greetings to one and all. This is my friend, Ron, and I sorting porcupine hair, quills and underfur. Ron has a bin of porcupine from about 4 animals, and he lets me take the hairs as he does not use them. Ron is a fantastic craftsman. He is well-known for his authentic brich bark canoes, porcupine quill boxes, baskets, knives and many other Native American arts. He and his wife, Molly, hail from Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan and Ron is a member of the the Ojibwe band of Chippewa Indians. Ron uses the stiff quills for his art while I use the fine hair for making flies. Porcupine hair is shinny, flexible and strong and makes very nice quill bodies. It works much better than feather stems and peacock herl to create realistic segmented bodies on flies such as the Quill Gordon. It does not need soaking before use or reinforcement with wire or head cement. This year I have quite a good supply. I am selling some, so be in touch if you would like to order.

No comments: